Friday 12 April 2013

Rock baby, rock it


To celebrate turning nineteen, I had lunch at OK Diner in Cannock with my mother and grandparents. It's a cliche 1950s American-style place, so naturally I loved it (and the soundtrack)!

Later, my Dad cooked a delicious vegetarian meal for family and friends. I was the only vegetarian there,  but no one could deny how good everything tasted!

Ignore the hair!
Urgh - lighting!
I haven't done too bad on the shopping front these past two weeks. I got a typewriter and a few other things for my birthday, but I mainly received money. I spent some of it on these...


Old briefcase (Compton Hospice, £4.50)
1940s sheet music, charity shop (Compton Hospice) 50p each

1940s sheet music, charity shop (Compton Hospice) 50p each
 I buy a lot of books in charity shops. Here are a few of the 15+ that I purchased this week. I couldn't resist the Enid Blyton books, she is the reason I started reading and writing as a child. I have quite a few original 1940s Famous Five books, as I collect old children's books from 1900-1950s. I'm a big Oscar Wilde fan - I also bought my friend a pretty tin with one of his famous quotes.

1960s Hans Anderson book (£2, Compton Hospice), A Christmas Carol £1.55
Marlon Brando £2, two 1970s Enid Blyton book £2 and 99p, all PDSA charity shop.
Oscar Wilde poems, (99p, The Works)

Pretty teapot (£2, Compton Hospice), 1950s/60s birthday brooch (boxed, gift),
sweet vintage bunny jar (£1, Compton Hospice)
My mom bought me this brooch from a Cannock charity shop. It's a 1950s or 1960s birthday flower brooch by Exquisite (she didn't notice that it's for October - not that I mind!) It's still in it's original box and padding, complete with the original card.

I can pretend I'm an October baby for this cute brooch!
I've just noticed that everything in the below picture (aside from the bangle) seems to be doing the same pose! Even the little worm in the glass apple is getting in on the action!

1950s kitten (£1, vintage stall at the market), mini Tetley teapots (75p apiece,  Compton Hospice), glass apple with removable worm (£1.50, Cat's Protection charity shop), blue bangle (50p, Compton Hospice)


Cute as a button 1950s style hat by Paul Bettley (£15, The Vintage Co.)

Vintage (I think!) hat, (£1.50, Compton Hospice)

Straw hat with blue ribbon (£1.50, Compton Hospice)
Cat eye sunglasses (£4.99, New Look)

Dress (£2, Age UK)
Vintage-inspired dress (£3, Compton Hospice)
I mentioned in my last post that I bought an adorable powder blue 1960s suit from Vix at Kinky Melon at the vintage fair in Bridgnorth. Well, this is it! It's prettier than it looks in the photo, I assure you. It's too big for me, sadly :(
1960s suit (Kinky Melon's Retro Boutique, £22)
You'll have to wait to see the 1950s day dress I bought. It's in my suitcase, ready to be worn in sunny Cyprus next week!

Psychedelic swimsuit (£2.50, Compton Hospice) - it has
a rather fabulous spiralled back!
These two Marilyn prints were £3 each in Cat's Protection. 



Lastly, I picked up two DVDs at That's Entertainment. I don't think I've mentioned before that I'm completely in love with Al Pacino. Minus the criminal activity and generally shady dealings, he is my idea of the perfect guy as Michael in The Godfather - softly spoken, mysterious, Italian, and a wearer of sharp 1940s suits, military uniforms and smart hats!


But then he is just so adorable in Dog Day Afternoon!

Anyway, I'm off out with my parents for an Indian before I go back to Liverpool for a few days tomorrow. I'm mainly there to hand in my coursework for the last time this year, but I'm also meeting with a friend to go to The Cavern, which should be fun!




7 comments:

  1. happy belated birthday darling! oh i would have loved this cliche 50´s diner too;) i´m in love with your 50´s style hat, it is sooooo beautiful and also those cate eye sunnies! and for the suit i can´t even find the right words! vix always has the most beautiful stuff;)
    wish you a wonderful week darling!
    love and kiss,mary
    http://www.maryloucinnamon.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is such a sweet hat! I was going to buy a 40s one that reminded me of Alice in Wonderland (always a good thing!), but it was too expensive.
      xx

      Delete
  2. Happy belated Birthday! What a haul of treasures! I love the veiled hat, your cats' eye sunnies and the groovy swimsuit.
    Enjoy your Indian! xxxx
    PS What a shame the suit was too big.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I did enjoy the Indian! I'm going to wear the suit regardless, it's just too sweet to leave in the wardrobe!

      xx

      Delete
  3. Hi, Amy Louise, and happy belated birthday to you! You have a wonderful blog and I decided to become a follower. I grew up in the 50s and 60s and celebrate the music and memories of the period on my blog. I love Wanda Jackson and devoted a post to her last year. I invite you to come over and take a look around when you get a chance. I'd love to have you as a follower and a friend. Thank you, Amy Louise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It must have been wonderful to grow up during that time. Wanda is one of my favourites, her music is so full of delightful energy! I've just checked out your blog - why wasn't I following sooner? It is wonderful. I love your post on the Clinger Sisters. I'd never heard of them before, but they are divine!

      Delete
    2. Thank you very much for following me, Amy! I am delighted to have you as a new friend. Your support means a lot to me and I promise you'll have fun at my virtual Shady Dell. Have a great evening and I'll talk to you again soon!

      Delete